Saturday, November 23, 2013

It is not my civic duty to praise any elected representative for doing his or her job= Bro. Obinna Akuwudike

news
I went into Imo State University the other day and couldn't help noticing some infrastructural changes. I noticed some buildings (about four of them) under construction or rather, in different stages of abandonment at the Down School area. I also noticed that "Love Garden" has been totally escavated for whatever monstrucity the contractors may have in mind which I fear might be as substandard as almost every other project embarked upon by this government.


For those who will accuse me of being only a critic, let me make it clear, it is not my civic duty to praise any elected representative for doing his or her job. I may acknowledge their good work but I am not duty-bound to praise them rather it is a debt I owe myself, my family, my future generation and the entire Imo State to thoroughly criticize bad governance whenever and wherever I see it happening in Imo State and Nigeria as a whole. The problem with those who will want to throw insults is illiteracy of their rights and duties to themselves and to the state at large.

That being said, in as much as I would say the four buildings I saw are welcome developments, I will not relent in reprimanding Owelle and his contractors for the spirit of abandonment in them. I noticed grasses and weeds already growing inside those buildings telling you how long those buildings have been abandoned. The root of those plants will gradually weaken the structures now turning them into death traps for the students who will be using those buildings one day. These kind of things are the causes of collapsed buildings when you abandon a building for so long to be assaulted by natural elements weakening the structure. Tomorrow when it happens we will start blaming God for the calamity we caused ourselves.

Still on the topic of education, what is the point in those buildings when we have very poor educational standards in IMSU? I was a product of this institution but over the years the standard we used to have there seem to be falling by the day and nothing concrete is being done to find out the reason for the fall in standard. Most of the lecturers are old and losing touch with changing trends while many others are interested in "sorting" rather than teaching. I would always prefer a high standard of education over new buildings and free education. What is the point in a free education when the students cannot defend their certificates? What is the need for free education when we cannot compete favorably with places like UNN in educational standards?

Come to think of it, is there really free education in IMSU? How is it free when Imo students still pay N20,000 while none-Imo students now pay the highest fees ever charged in the history of that institution? I am still surprised at the level of stupidity we can sink to just to believe a dream which is fast fading away. Even when the truth is staring at our face, we still don't want to believe it. Why was Professor BEB Nwoke sacked? Does it have anything to do with his stand against a fraudulent secret quota system? For those who do not understand what quota system means, this system gives 80% of the total yearly admissions into IMSU to none-Imolites leaving 20% for Imo indigenes. When some people complained that IMSU did not take much students this year, this was the reason. None-Imolites pay about N120,000 and you pay N20,000 which one is better business? Use your head. Put your brains to work that's why God gave them to you.

For our dear governor to be a champion in "free" education he must first become transparent in his policies. He should do away with secret policies just like the secret Abortion Bill and the secret quota system. He should be honest with the people, if university free education is not feasible you tell your people and explain to them why it isn't working smoothly. Hiding behind lies just to look good momentarily will give you an everlasting bad name because when the next person becomes governor, he or she will expose the fraud carried out under the guise of "free" education and give you a very bad name which can rubbish your future political aspirations.

I will always urge my Onye Isi-ala to surround himself with people who can tell him the truth without fear or favor rather than sycophants who will clap for his mistakes without pointing out the errors in them. Mike Ahamba said Owelle believes he can do everything on his own and I agree with the SAN when he said that such mindset is Owelle's failure. Nobody can do it on their own. Surround yourself with good and Godly people and learn to listen to them. That is the only way any leader can excel and when I said go closer to Archbishop Obinna, making his brother a commissioner isn't the answer, seek the Archbishop's advise on issues where morality and fairness is at stake and he will guide you aright without fear or favor. Ka Chineke mezie okwu.

Bro. Obinna Akuwudike.


No comments:

Post a Comment