Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Eze Ilomuanya Opens Up, Says I Would Have Resigned



I went to court for the course of justice and to protect the sanctity of the traditional institution from underserved external abuses like this and not for personal or selfish aggrandizement which I was justified by the various courts who handled the matter

As the drama over the fate of the embattled Chairman of South East Council of Traditional Rulers and the dethroned Chairman of Imo State Council of Traditional Rulers, Eze Cletus Ilomunaya continues to rage, the Obi of Obinugwu has opened up on the lingering rift between him and the state governor, Owelle Rochas Okorocha.
Speaking to newsmen moments after he took over reins of office and was reinstated in accordance to Court Appeal declarative order and judgment, Ilomuanya who said he is not hungry for power or born to remain perpetual in the office of Ndi Eze revealed that Okorocha’s ill manner and deceitful approach to him when he came on board as governor in 2011 motivated him to fight for his right and that of the traditional rulers in a competent court of jurisdiction.
According to Ilomuanya who spoke at the state secretariat of Ndi Eze Imo in New Owerri after he was facilitated to enter the office courtesy commissioner of Police, while enforcing the court  judgment, when the governor was sworn in, he asked him as chairman of Ndi Eze Imo to summon and address traditional rulers in the state for purposes of queuing into the new agenda and programmes of government of Okorocha.
“I not only congratulated him as our new governor but also called for a meeting of Ndi Eze Imo to queue them into the new policy of the incoming government” began Ilomuanya who spoke in the presence of people like the Leader of Movement For the Actualization of Sovereign state of Biafra, (MASSOB), Chief Ralph Uwazuruike, Former Deputy Speaker of Imo State House of Assembly, Chief Chuma Nnaji, former ANPP Chairman Dr Vitalis Orikeze Ajumbe and immediate past APC chairman Prince Marshall Okafor Anyanwu, including few monarchs.

“The governor thanked me for the manner I spoke to the other Ezes at that meeting and he also promised to meet me later for other discussions on the way forward after he may have returned from Abuja for the inauguration of the National Assembly. I was surprised when few hours later the governor I chatted with in a friendly manner after thanking me for the role I have just played in getting Ndi Eze to back his government, turned back to announce my removal in a state broadcast.
“To confirm his announcement of my removal, I went to his house as at that time he was still living at the back of Concorde Hotel area where we discussed. When I confronted him on the wrongful sack which he announced, he confessed that he never knew there was a law regarding Imo State Council of Traditional Rulers.
But I showed him the law. For me, the position is not a do or die affair. I never wanted to be an Eze, it is my people that wanted me. If the governor does not want to work with me because he may have wanted to work with those who assisted his election and victory, fine and okay but not at the detriment of our traditional institutional and law guiding it. His Excellency could have communicated to me on that and I would have honourably resigned if he does not want me to work with him. It is a simple matter, I feel the matter should have been settled amicably than breaking the law and these troubles.
“I had also expected that after our discussion where I showed him the law he denied knowledge of, to do the necessary but nothing happened. I had expected he reversed himself and maybe set up a panel of inquiry that would have been a prelude to my resignation.
I went to court for the course of justice and to protect the sanctity of the traditional institution from underserved external abuses like this and not for personal or selfish aggrandizement which I was justified by the various courts who handled the matter. My case was only against injustice meted on me because of the deceit not that of power”.
Speaking further on the matter, Ilomuanya who was almost in tears narrating the nightmarish experience he had had in the hands of the governor disclosed that apart from removing him from office, the state government instituted measures to depose him from the seat as Obi of Obinugwu by sponsoring fictitious persons to protest against him with a view to removing him as Eze of Obinugwu autonomous community in Orlu LGA.
“The became petty afterwards by using names that are not familiar with Obinugwu people. Also a committee raised by the governor again broke into my house in pretext of recovering government vehicles to grab my vehicles. In the process, they took my three cars which are still in their custody till date”
The Obi of Obinugwu expressed that despite his travails, he holds nothing against Okorocha stating that he has forgiven him, “My fight is on the rule of justice. And I am happy that part of the state anthem is for “rule of law to prevail in Imo. “I don’t know why rule of law should not prevail in the matter concerning the monarchs in Imo.


 I have forgiven the governor. The last time we met, I told him I have nothing against him. I even dipped hands inside my pocket to bring out one of my rosary the bishop gave me as a sign of peace, to show I have a clean mind towards him”
On how he gained re-entry into office of Ndi Ez, Ilomuanya stated that he was in Abuja as a member of the Confab when information reached him that concerned authorities want to effect the court order reinstating him and he should come.
However, Ilomuanya’s re-entry into the office was short-lived victory when few hours latter an announcement by the secretary to the government deposed him and went further to withdraw certificate of return.

 Reacting on the matter, Ilomuanya in a press statement said “I wish to inform the public particularly Traditional Rulers in Imo State that on Friday, June 6, 2014, I formally resumed duties as the Chairman of Imo State Council of Ndi-Eze. This is in compliance with various court judgments re-affirming me as the authentic Chairman of the Council.
As to be expected, jubilant youths and traditional rulers in Imo State heralded my return as their chairman. But sadly, some elements of oppression and anti-rule of law felt otherwise.
“Barely few hours after my resumption of duties, the secretary to the Imo State Government, Mr Anthony Anwukah, issued a contemptuous press release purportedly conveying Governor Rochas Okorocha withdrawal of my Certificate of Recognition as a traditional ruler without any reason at all. My offence was that I obeyed court judgment/orders in a state where disobedience to court orders is glorified.

 This ridiculous and laughable announcement is a mockery on the sponsors. Nobody is above the law just as everybody is subject to the law.
For the avoidance of doubt, the Court of Appeal judgment of July 5, 2013, which affirmed me as the lawful chairman of Imo State Council of Ndi-Eze was clear in its judgment wherein it made an order inter-alia that “An order of injunction restraining the defendants (i.e. Governor Rochas Okorocha and the Attorney General of Imo State) by themselves, their servants, agents or however from truncating and interfering with the function of the claimant (that is myself) as a member of and chairman of Imo State Council of Ndi-Eze until the lawful expiration of the said tenure in 2015”.

The High Court judgment of May 26,2014, delivered by Hon. Justice Ngozi Ukoha further re-affirmed this when it ordered that the “ Court of Appeal judgment in of July 5, 2013 is a judgment in Rem which is binding on all persons-parties and non-parties alike”. The section 11 and 14 of the Imo State Traditional law of 2006 as amended cited by Imo State Government does not provide for their action. Therefore the action of purporting to withdraw my certificate of recognition is unlawful contemptuous of various court judgment/orders and therefore, null and void and of no effect whatsoever. The public should please disregard such reckless announcement as I shall continue to work in my office at the Council’s Secretariat as Imo State Council of Ndi-Eze.
“Let it be known that Governor Rochas Okorocha being aware of the various court judgments on this matter and their import cannot contemplate dethroning me. Therefore, I remain the Obi of Obinugwu and Chairman, Imo State Council of Ndi- Eze.
 THERE IS NO CAUSE FOR ALARM
“The rule of law must reign in Imo State. The Reign of impunity and continued disobedience to judicial pronouncements must stop because Imo State is nobody’s private enterprise.
In spite of this provocation and aggression against the custom and tradition of Ndigbo, I call on Ohaneze Ndigbo youths and all youths in Igbo Land to remain calm”.
Meanwhile, Trumpeta learnt that efforts by the state government to properly torpedo Ilomuanya out of the office is receiving hiccups as the state police high command may not be able to accede to removing Ilomuanya again.
According to findings, the government request to evacuate Ilomuanya based on the dethronement is not becoming feasible as Police may be said to be relying on court order. A top police source revealed that the state command who is obeying the court order to stop Ilomuanya  from office.
When contacted, Police PRO, Andree Enwere, a DSP confirmed that Police sent patrol team to the office to ward off any unwanted development following intelligent reports that suspected youths want to unleash mayhem and vandalize items in the office. “We are not interested in the matter between Ilomuanya and state government but protection of live & property’s he added. Culled from Trumpeta

No comments:

Post a Comment